top of page


All of us at Arnica Lodge were looking forward to the AFL Grand Final. In particular - Dawn, Paul, and Yanie who are all Richmond supporters. Richmond were the favourites to win against the Greater Western Sydney Giants. There were red and yellow streamers on the walls and a Richmond poster as well.

The Giants got the first goal through Jeremy Cameron but Richmond had really come out to play football on Grand Final day. They had their game face on and they were ready for any challenge that was going to be thrown at them by GWS. They seemed hungrier at the ball than the Giants and had more numbers at the ball than the Giants. GWS had no answers to Richmond. Richmond just kept piling on the goals and it was one-way traffic for most of the game. The Richmond juggernaut just continued to roll on, playing four quarters of consistent football. They had the match more or less sewn up by half time and had a very decisive lead. Richmond supporters already knew they had it in the bag and some were celebrating at the half time break.

The AFL Grand Final sprint was on at half time for entertainment and players from different AFL clubs competed.

Richmond came out in the second half full of confidence, just as they did going in. GWS were just hoping that the final siren would sound there and then because their performance was turning out to be a complete embarrassment. The performance was becoming unbearable to watch for Giants' supporters and they were beginning to tear their hair out. The Tigers had the stamina to play well until the final siren - they put on a superstar performance!

Once the final siren sounded all of the Richmond players ran to the middle of the MCG and jumped up and down in the air in one large circle and jumped up and down on each others backs - they were over the moon! Their coach Damien Hardwick ran into the middle of the MCG and gave his players a big hug, along with the assistant coaches and Richmond support staff. Damien and his players had worked their backsides off all year to achieve the ultimate goal - not only had they reached the big dance in the last week of September, but they had won!

The MCG was full of 'yellow and black'. GWS supporters had already left the ground and made their way home. Richmond supporters had proudly started the Grand Final party which was certain to go on for a long time. The players were full of smiles, soaking up all of the attention from their adoring fans. Then it was time for the Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and their team captain Trent Cotchin to be presented with the Grand Final cup. Then the coach and captain ushered all of the players onto the stage as they both made their Grand Final speeches. They thanked their fans for their support throughout the season, as well as their sponsors.

After that the players started running their victory lap around the MCG with the Grand Final cup - and then walked down to the Richmond clubrooms. Then the Channel 7 coverage finished.

Congratulations to Richmond for achieving the ultimate goal of winning the premiership flag! No one can take this off them and they know it!

The Grand Final presentations were underway, as the Richmond players were called up one-by-one to the stage and presented with their Grand Final medallions.

Highlights for the Tigers were:

- Jack Riewoldt kicked 5 goals

- Marlon Pickett kicked 1 goal and played a brilliant game especially considering that it was his first game at the AFL level in his life

- Dustin Martin kicked 4 goals

Richmond ended up beating GWS by 89 points! There was a huge crowd of Richmond supporters at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), many more than GWS supporters.

15 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page